Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Running Home From Work

I've been wanting to try this for some time now, and I figured the 15-mile run called for by my marathon training schedule would be a great opportunity. Of course, the one day I set out to do this, I had to cover a late breaking news story and wasn't able to leave the office until 6:30. I had to run the last five miles in the dark -- not an easy thing to do on wooded trails. Still, it was a great run, 100 percent on trails, and very scenic too with a good portion of it along the banks of the Potomac River. Beats taking the Metro's Red Line anyday!

The route started out along the Mt. Vernon Trail, cut over to the C&O Canal via the Key Bridge, and then finished along the Capital Crescent Trail where my wife was waiting for me at a pre-arranged time -- 9:10 P.M. All in all, the entire journey took 2:36, with an average pace of 10:25 per mile, according to the stats from trusty Garmin. I even stopped for a Gatorade at a 7-11 along the way. 

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done on the run commute. I've got a co-worker who does this and wrote up a ton of stuff on it (scroll quite a bit to see some of it):

    http://davidtreadwell.spaces.live.com/blog/

    May be of interest to ya. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete